Sunday, July 22, 2007

YES, lets spoil our children!!!

I figured since I am already here and I have already changed how I raise and "educate" my children my next step is to redefine some ugly words in our society. The first word that I'd like to attack is "spoiled". What type of picture comes to mind when you hear that someone has a spoiled child? I know, some whiny brat that wants everything he sees and some week minded mother or father that just can't say no. Was I right?? Well, I am here to give you an entirely different image. You see I teach my girls that they can always be happy in this life. Sure there are going to be situations that arise where there will be sadness, anger, frustration, pain, jealousy, boredom, and and just plain stagnation. But, I think all of those things are good because without out them you cannot know how to seek the opposite. If you don't have contrast in your life how can you know what will bring you joy? So I want my kids to be happy, to find whatever brings them bliss. I also want them to be able to do this for themselves and not depend on others for their happiness. So following that train of thought I want my kids to have everything that they want that brings them to their joy, their bliss. The difference here is that my girls live in an environment that doesn't judge their actions. Let me give you an example, they can study something to what ever extent they desire. Mighty Girl went through a phase where she had to rent, buy, record, film, draw, paint, document, and in all other ways learn about birds. It went on for weeks. Many hours a day, mostly in the middle of the night. But, she was free to do so. And, I was excited for her. I didn't place limits or judgments on her. I never said, "Don't you think that is quite enough?" or, "Isn't it too late to study?". I never said this mostly because I never felt that way but also because I would have hated those things to have been said to me when I have a passion for something. Even if this means that they have to have every video game system out there or that they only want to read about Pokemon everyday. My girls are passionate about a great many things. I feel it is my job as their mother to introduce new material into their tiny worlds but it is okay for them to tell me no, that that is not interesting to them. I love that they know what they like and don't like. So to that end, they always get what they want. They never feel as though they "need" something that is unattainable. For them everything is within reach. They can and will get everything that they want. And because they know who they are, they know how to follow their bliss. They just don't want to have everything! So please, lets spoil our children.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Here they are studying a beetle they found near the pool. Mighty Girl wanted to know everything about it. So she dissected it so that she was able to completely understand it. I would not have chosen to do that but it was something that brought her happiness.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Wow you are fast and good did this come to you after we spoke I love you! "Lets spoil ourselves and our children" Give them everything especially love and an example of what it looks like to get everything you want!

Loves and hugs,
D

Caroline said...

Yes, yes it did. Our conversation inspired me to write this.

Growing Up Without Schooling