Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Half-Blood Prince or Eldest

I spent the day running errands. I found a new pair of shorts for me, I purchased the sixth book in the Harry Potter series (The Half-Blood Prince), and the second in the Eragon series (Eldest), I bought crickets to feed to the geckos, and brought home a little something for the kids to eat. My hubby had left them while I was out and they had not fixed themselves anything to eat.

It's sort of funny, I have a 20 percent off discount card at Barnes and Noble (anyone that is a teacher or parent to a home schooler can get one) but, every time I take it out to use it they say, "Is this book going to be used in the classroom?" And I feel the same way every time the cashier says these words in what is usually a semi condescending way. I feel as if I was being sucked into a large pit almost like a time warp of some sort. I am always rendered momentarily speechless. So I swallow hard and give her sideways smile. "Yes" I reply, "I home school my kids". How can I keep forgetting that our society says that only some books have educational value and others don't. Oh well, I know this isn't true and right now that's all that matters.
Anyway, I am very excited to read these two books with Mighty Girl but, Ice Princess shows no interest. I wonder if she would actually like to join us when we read together but says no just because it makes her feel powerful to say "no". I'm not sure that she really knows the adventure she is missing out on when we read together. She only likes to read on her own. When the mood strikes her just right she'll take a book and lock herself in a room (usually the bathroom, which as it turns out is one of her favorites rooms) and does not come out for hours. Not that I am complaining, mind you, I just find the differences between my children fascinating sometimes. I do have to admit however that I love our snuggle time when we read to each other. Isn't it great that my 12 year old still cuddles with me!?! Now to decide which one to read first. That will be the hard part.

1 comment:

Darlene said...

i love reading and knowing your children and you! I am so happy you are the understanding mommy to Sydney and yet you have Jordan to read and cuddle.
Love it,
Darlene

Growing Up Without Schooling