Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It takes two


My husband is the head of our household but don't let him find out that I said so. I like him to think that I am the one that is running the show. But, if I am to be truly honest, and what a better place to be honest, I have to admit that he will always have the last word. Not by force or coercion, don't get me wrong. But by choice, my choice to really value his opinion. And I think that I hold such a great value to his opinion because he values mine. When we disagree, points can be made and compromises can be met easily because we have such high regard for each other. Our marriage has been one of love, adoration, passion, laughter,trials, more laughter, some tears, calmness, and compromise. I can after almost 15 years of marriage count on one hand the fights that we have had. It's not that we don't disagree but we don't disagree on much. We allow each other to be individuals and pursue our individual passions. Sometimes finding the other's passion interesting and other times not. And by doing this, by allowing these things we become closer as a couple, and we are better parents. Having our kids brought up with a united front, that loves unconditionally, and that excepts each other for who they are not who someone wants them to be is a key point in our unschooling journey. That and not being afraid of change, not being afraid to admit that we can better ourselves, and not being afraid to admit that we aren't perfect but are taking risks and trying new things to promote growth within ourselves. That is why we love to be an unschooled family.

1 comment:

Darlene said...

I so long you two and I love the way Mark and you are together. I see so much love and passion between the 2 of you it inspires me in my relationship.

Love, D

Growing Up Without Schooling