Saturday, August 11, 2007

Playtime


I have absolutely to be honest. I love that my girls still play with toys. It may seem silly but, I find joy out of watching them play. But, I have to pretend not to be peering at them because they don't like it. So, I sneak a little peak here and grab a few quick glances there. On occasion there are times though when I think that they are truly on "another planet" when they are playing and I can take a few pictures with out being discovered.

I was thinking about this because I was watching the television show, American Inventor and on this program there is a man who invented a toy for kids. With this toy boys and girls would receive an R.C. engine and remote control and a cd for the computer. The child would be able to choose which type of car or plane they wanted to build and then print it out and then eventually build one on their own. That sounded really fun to me. But, when his toy was tested the children (ages 10 through 13) all said that they don't play with toys any more. That they were too old for this toy. What??? Too old for a toy?? Heck I still like toys. I think that our society with all of this pushing and forcing has cut out childhood completely. How terribly sad. So very tragic for those boys and girls that don't play after the age of 10. And how can we as a society be doing this to our youth?? Isn't it time we take our children and their childhoods back!!!


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

Darlene said...

how can they play? In a classroom 6 hours a day, five days a week with a few short breaks to eat and 1/2 hour recess. They have had all the fun "taught" out of them and even if they wanted to play why would they try would they even get anytime? Our children have the time and we help them feel safe and our own example of play allows them to see.

Loves,
Dar

Growing Up Without Schooling